How to Carbonate Water
Among the products that are bought frequently in stores are soft drinks and carbonated water. This is carbonated drinks that are prepared in known industries. Aside from their great taste, carbonated drinks are quite a great way to quench thirst.
There are reasons why people opt for carbonated water.
Carbonate water acts as motivation to drink more water thus assuring perfect body form. Also, carbonated water is a great way to do away with indigestion and constipation. This ensures that you are hydrated and free of any ailments due to dehydration.
Whatever way you drink water, make sure it is of good quality. A Whole house water filter, can filter all your household water without any inconvenience.
However, you may find yourself in a situation where you are out of carbonated drinks thus skipping having water. Well is there an alternative to make carbonated water at the comfort of your home? a question many may ask. Some people might tell you that there is no way to do this or even that machines to do this are expensive.
Are they right? No!
Of course, there are equipment in the market, that will take care of your carbonated water needs.
In this article, you will find a detailed process to prepare carbonated water at the comfort of your home without spending loads of cash. With this, you will get plenty carbonated water hence saving the cash you would use on the bottled carbonated water.
While doing this at your home, you can get any flavors you like in your carbonated drinks. Whether you wish to have chocolate flavors or strawberry you can have it. You are doing it for yourself anyway. However, when preparing this at your home, do it with utmost precision to ensure you don’t get hurt. This being because the procedure is a high pressure that may lead to a messy kitchen.
How to carbonate water
To carbonate water from your house, you will first need to have all the materials needed to carbonate water.
Two plastic bottles with caps. (avoid glass bottles as they may explode and cause injuries)
A piece of aquarium size tubing
A drill (preferably of smaller size than the tubing)
A pair of scissors
A paper towel (or toilet paper)
Liquid you intend to carbonate
- First, clean all the materials and dry properly so as to ensure they are free of contaminants. Having done this, take off the caps and drill holes at the center of the caps. While at it, ensure you do it well to avoid making excessively large holes.
- Cut the tubing ends at an angle so as you can be able to fix them into the bottle caps easily. While at it, ensure you hold the tubings firmly to avoid cutting them in a bad way. Slowly stick the tubing into the caps and cork the bottles using the caps. While at it, ensure that the tubing in one bottle goes all the way down and the other goes into the bottle about an inch long.
- Take the liquid you wish to carbonate and pour it into the bottle. This may include water or even another preferable beverage. Pour this into the bottle with the tubing going all the way to the bottom. Ensure you leave a small space in the bottle to allow movement of air. This may be two inches long or even an inch and a half. Having done this put the cap back on and tighten it.
- Pour vinegar into the other bottle until it is 1/3 filled. While at it, you might want to use a funnel so as to avoid spilling vinegar on your kitchen countertop.
- Put a spoonful of baking soda on a paper towel (or tissue paper) and roll it so it fits the bottleneck. Hold the paper towel to the neck of the bottle ready to drop it. Have the cap of the bottle close to you so that you can cork the bottle as soon as you release the baking soda into the vinegar.
- Drop the baking soda into the vinegar and cork the bottle as fast as you can. Ensure that your cap is airtight hence no carbon will be lost in the open air. Shake the bottle well to ensure that the vinegar and baking soda react fully hence releasing an adequate amount of carbon. Dropping the baking soda rolled in a paper towel buys you time to cork your bottle without your contents spilling.
- Take the bottle with your liquid in your hand and shake it well. While doing this, you will see bubbles coming out of the tubing. These bubbles are the carbon dioxide being produced by the reaction. Shake the bottle well to disperse the bubbles throughout the liquid. This will ensure that carbon is dispersed properly throughout the drink. Do this until fuzzing stops.
- Pinch the tubing above the bottle containing the liquid to ensure no gases come out of the bottle with vinegar and baking soda. This is to ensure that gas does not escape your drink leaving it flat. Remove the tubing from the bottle with the reagents carefully. Do this at the sink so as to avoid spillage of liquids on your kitchen top. This will enable you to clean your kitchen easily with a lesser mess.
- Clean your materials to ensure that no remnants are in them. This in preparation for usage the next time without contaminants.
- Having done this, you can pour your drink into a cup and enjoy.
To get a good result, consider adding some ice chunks into the mixture to cool off the liquid. You can also put this mixture into the fridge to get great tasting carbonated water. By following the above procedures, you will find no trouble knowing how to carbonate water at your home. You can add some lemon in your reaction chamber to remove the smell of vinegar from your drink.
You can also add slices of lemon in your beverage thus enhancing the taste of your product. Oranges and cranberry juice play a major role in sweetening your resulting product.
By following the steps above, you are assured to get great tasting carbonated water whenever you need it. This without spending as much money as you would if you considered buying carbonated water from the store. With this, you will always get carbonated water whenever you need it. This means that constipation and indigestion will not appear in your dictionary as long as you know how to make carbonated water.